1 year, 2 months, 29 days away from home. It can also be counted as 65 weeks or 455 days or 10,920 hours or 655,200 minutes or 39,312,000 seconds.
I have never been away for that long before. I have gone places for a while, six months tops without coming back to France. This time, it was the longest trip I have ever taken.
I am writing you from the last hotel in Tokyo we have before leaving. I can’t believe that it is almost over, that in two days, I will be on the plane to come home, or whatever France is to me now. I am not sure.
Sad? Of course I am. It has been a hell of a journey after all. We have seen so many things in so little time. I went on the other side of the world! It is still hard to realize. I guess I will realize when I will be in Normandy, in front of my screen, writing about all the things we have done on this very website because I have so much to say and I didn’t had enough time on our travels to write about everything. But please stay tuned in the following weeks, you will be surrounded by new articles here about New Zealand, Australia, Tasmania and Japan.
But before I do the big assess of my past 65 weeks in another blog post, I decided that it could be interesting to see what happened in the world while I was gone.
You might not know it but in New Zealand, you are kind of isolated from the rest of the world. You live in this safety bubble, looking forward to your next road trip instead of worrying about everything. Though I kept in touch with what happened around the globe and when you do the sum up of the year and 3 months, so much happened!
Here it goes.
- There was a big referendum in New Zealand about whether or not they should change their flag. New Zealanders voted to keep their flag, and not because the flags were not nice, because of how the vote happened.
- Obama (US President at the time) visited Cuba. It was the first time a US President officially went since 1928 (88 years!!)
- Big forest fire in Fort McMurray, Canada which is still considered active one year later
- Novak Djokovic finally wins over Roland Garros
- UK voted the Brexit (Exit the European Union)
- David Cameron (Former Prime Minister of the UK) quit following that vote
- There was a failed putsch attempt in Turkey (273 people died)
- The Olympic Games took place in Brazil
- Mother Teresa was canonized (recognized by the church as a saint)
- Researchers opened the Christ’s tomb for the first time since 1810
- Thomas Pesquet (French Astronaut) went and came back from the International Space Station (ISS), leaving us with amazing pictures of the Earth from Space
- John Key (New Zealand former Prime Minister) quit
- FARCs and Colombia reached an historic agreement
- After a death this year, no one on earth is born before 1900 anymore
- Federer proved once again that he is the greatest of all by wining the Australian Open against Nadal when they hadn’t met in an Open finals since 2011!! Plus he was injured and not #1 anymore since a while. Though, he (and Nadal too) managed to get to the Finals.
- Donald Trump was elected President of the United States
- Emmanuel Macron was elected French President
- There was 14 deadly attacks around Europe
- Tragic death:
I feel like a lot have changed since I am gone and I don’t know what to expect when I go home. I guess everything will be the same. Except me.
Did you remembered any of those events? Maybe some I didn’t write (because I wasn’t aware of them)? Leave a comment to let me know!